- You must have earned a Master’s degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. institution, or an equivalent degree earned at a non-U.S. institution
- You must have earned a 3.5 Grade Point Average (on a 4.0 scale) in all prior Undergraduate and Graduate coursework
- The official Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) score is required to apply for the Doctoral Program. If you have scores within 5 years of the date of your application they may be submitted. If you have GRE scores that are older than 5 years you must retake the examinations. The minimum GRE scores required for the Doctoral Program are quantitative 159 (750), and verbal 150 (450).
- If your native language is not English and you do not hold a degree from an institution in the U.S. then you may be required to submit proof of English proficiency via TOEFL or IELTS scores. The minimum TOEFL for full admission is 100 on the IBT. Here are the details from Global Maryland.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume / CV
If you are currently studying for your Master’s degree with us you will still need to complete a new application for the PhD. Your transcripts are on file
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers a complete guide: Admission Guidelines and Deadlines for the MS and PhD programs from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
This article was last updated on March 15, 2017.